Sumpter Township — The subject of a statewide manhunt for his suspected involvement in a quadruple homicide in Wayne County on Saturday has turned himself in to the Bay County Sheriff’s Office, Sumpter police said late Sunday.
Raymond Lee Bailey, 37, was expected to be transferred into the custody of township police “shortly,” a post on the township police Facebook page said.
Investigators located his abandoned vehicle near Bay City after tracking Raymond Lee Bailley of Sumpter Township. A statewide alert had been issued and the search remained ongoing through Sunday night. Police said he may be headed to the Upper Peninsula.
Officers found two men and two women dead from apparent gunshot wounds on Saturday morning at the residence in the 24000 block of Martinsville Road, a gravel country byway in the township.
Bailey had felony assault and domestic violence charges dismissed in November and January, records show.
Laura Tanner, the ex-fiancee of the suspect, was identified on social media as one of the victims in Saturday’s slayings. A charge of assault with intent to do great bodily harm less than murder involved an alleged incident involving Tanner, according to 34th District Court documents.
Police said he claimed responsibility for the killings in messages via telephone and texts to friends. Police have not released the names or ages of those killed. A GoFundMe set up to offset funeral costs for the four said the family “is reeling from this senseless and tragic murders.”
“Fiercely loyal to each other and their families, these siblings/cousins/mothers and fathers/daughters and sons put family first and now our family desperately needs your help to quickly raise funeral expenses,” the fundraising post said.
Michigan State Police said Sunday that they were not involved in the investigation and referred questions to Sumpter Township police. Sumpter police said they would attempt to reach the police chief to answer Detroit News questionsl.
Some residents living near the shooting scene told reporters they heard a half dozen or more gunshots late Saturday morning and thought at first they were coming from the wooded areas surrounding their homes.
The domestic violence charge against Bailey was brought in October 2019 but was dismissed without prejudice on Jan. 7, meaning charges eventually could be reinstated, when the “complaining witness” failed to show up in court, said Patrick Nyenhuis, Bailey’s initial court-appointed.
The assault charge was dismissed by the court during a probably cause hearing in Nov. 20, according to the documents. Bond, set at $1,000, had been posted Nov. 8. Bailey had been ordered to not have any direct or indirect contact with Tanner. The order expired on May 1. On Jan. 7, his criminal history was entered into the Law Enforcement Information Network, or LEIN.
Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office spokeswoman Maria Miller said, “It is our protocol not to comment during an ongoing homicide investigation” when asked why the charges were dismissed against Bailey.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.